Public Information on the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Please find public resources and links below with additional information on the Coronavirus.
Meal Storage and Heating Instructions
Concerned about Housing? Please see below
On June 17, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed the Emergency Relief Act that created the COVID Rent Relief Program (RRP) which provides up to 4 months of rental assistance for NYS renters with the greatest rent burden.
NYS Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) will open the RRP application period on Thursday, July 16 and it will be open for only 2 weeks.
To qualify, applicants must have:
- Primary residence in New York State;
- Income below 80% Area Median Income;
- Experienced a rent burden, defined as paying more than 30% of gross monthly income towards rent;
- Lost income during any period between April 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020;
- Rent not greater than 125% of Fair Market Rent; and,
- At least one household member must be a U.S. citizen or meet one of the immigration criteria found here.
[Households living in public housing or in receipt of Section 8 housing assistance are not eligible for RRP.]
For more information, visit: https://hcr.ny.gov/RRP
We have an important update that may impact families experiencing homelessness and others that you work with as a McKinney-Vento liaison. To ensure that some of the most vulnerable New York families who rely on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) do not miss out on financial support they are eligible for, please share the following information:
- If you are a recipient of Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you will receive your $1,200 economic impact payment from the IRS automatically--you do not have to do anything.
- But, if you receive SSI, have not filed a tax return, and you have an eligible child, you must act now to get $500 per child in addition to your $1200 payment.
- BY MAY 5th, go to the IRS' Non-Filer web form available here to give information about your children.
- If you miss the May 5th deadline, please go to IRS.gov for further information.
Thank you for your continued work in support of students and families experiencing homelessness.