Parent's Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
In accordance with Education Law Section 2-d, the Waterloo Central School District hereby sets forth the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security, which is applicable to all students and their parents/legal guardians.
1. A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial or marketing purposes;
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record;
3. State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of PII, and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including, but not limited to, encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred;
4. Parents may access the NYSED Student Data Elements List, a complete list of all student data elements collected by NYSED, at http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx, or may obtain a copy of this list by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234;
5. Parents have the right to submit, in writing, complaints about possible breaches of student data to the Superintendent of Schools, 109 Washington Street, Waterloo, NY 13165.